The Suzanne LaVere Herbst Award for Excellence in Vascular Access is the highest honor AVA bestows upon a member in recognition of outstanding contributions to the art and science of vascular access. To be nominated for this prestigious award the nominee must have a minimum of 10 years vascular access experience and show a strong record of national and/or international contributions. They must also promote professional development of others as evidenced by lecturing, teaching, publishing vascular access-related information, mentoring/precepting, etc. Please review the nomination guidelines below for other criteria needed to qualify.
2018 Nominations Now OPEN
Recognize someone you know who contributes to enhancing public and professional awareness of vascular access, and is committed to advancing the specialty. Review the Nomination Guidelines below and get 2 other people to support your nomination.
The Award Recipient will receive:
- Waived registration fee to attend the AVA Annual Scientific Meeting
- Coach class round trip transportation to attend the AVA Annual Scientific Meeting
- Two nights of hotel accommodations at the approved meeting hotel
- Award presentation and lectureship during the Annual Scientific Meeting
- The award recipient will also be asked to submit a manuscript to the Journal of the Association for Vascular Access (JAVA).
2018 Nomination Information:
Any questions about these guidelines or how to nominate can be sent to Tonya Hutchison (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About Suzanne LaVere Herbst
If it wasn't for Suzanne LaVere Herbst, RN, MA AVA would not exist. She is the founder and first president of AVA (formerly BAVAN and NAVAN). A renown lecturer and expert in vascular access, she has over 30 years of experience in infusion therapy including research and development, in the hospital, hospice, and home care arenas. Suzanne is a charter member of the Oncology Nursing Society and has numerous publications to her credit. She is also the recipient of the American Biographical Institute Medal of Honor and has been awarded the Most Admired Woman of the Decade Award for her outstanding achievements. Suzanne is also listed in the Who's Who of American Nursing and the World's Who's Who of Women.
In honor of her dedication and her achievements, AVA annually awards The Suzanne LaVere Herbst Award for Excellence in Vascular Access. It is the highest recognition AVA offers a member in recognition of his or her contributions that promote optimal outcomes for people requiring vascular access and substantial contributions to the art and science of vascular access.
Congratulations to the Past Herbst Award Winners:
- 2018 Winner: TBA March 2018
- 2017 Winner: Marcia Ryder, PhD MS
- 2016 Winner: Amy Bardin-Spencer, Ed(D)c, MS, RRT, VA-BCTM
- 2015 Winner: Marcia Wise, RN, VA-BCTM
- 2014 Winner: Nancy Moureau, BSN, RN, CRNI®, CPUI, VA-BCTM
- 2013 Winner: Lynn C. Manly, RN, CRNI®, VA-BCTM
- 2012 Winner: Josie Stone, RN, CPNP, CRNI®, VA-BCTM
- 2011 Winner: Jim Lacy, RN, BSN, CRNI®, VA-BCTM
- 2010 Winner: Nadine Nakazawa, RN, BS, OCN
- 2009 Winner: Mauro Pittiruti, M.D.
- 2008 Winner: Gail Egan Sansivero, RN, MS, ANP, ACON
- 2007 Winner: Jamie Bowen Santolucito, RN, CRNI®, VA-BCTM
- 2006 Winner: Janet Pettit, MSN, RNC, NP
- 2005 Winner: Deb Richardson, RN, BS, BSN, MS, CNS
- 2004 Winner: Kelli Rosenthal, MS, RN, BC, CRNI®, ANP, APRN
- 2003 Winner: Darcy Doellman, RN, BSN, CRNI®, VA-BCTM
- 2002 Winner: Denise Macklin, BSN, RN, BC