Eligibility for VA-BC Certification
Certification is open to candidates living in the United States and Canada. Practice in the area of vascular access is required for initial certification. Your current practice in vascular access must use the knowledge and skills described in the content outline. Each candidate should assess their own body of knowledge, skills and understanding of the specialty in deciding when to sit for the exam.
Certification candidates must attest they meet one of the following criteria:
- Health Care Professionals in the field of Vascular Access involved in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care and needs of patients and clients who require vascular access in the course of their care.
- Professionals working in a field that complements Vascular Access, such as Educators, Administrators, Infection Control Professionals, Nutrition Support Professionals.
In addition, your current clinical practice must include at least two (2) of the following activities:
- Assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care and needs of patients and clients who require vascular access in the course of their care;
- Education of individuals in best practice as it pertains to vascular access;
- Development and revision of vascular access policies and procedures;
- Management of vascular access activities;
- Provision of consultation of vascular access activities.
Self-employed individuals must meet the same practice criteria as above.