AVA Announces Cancellation of Face-to-Face 2020 Scientific Meeting in Denver Due to COVID-19
Monday, June 15, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 15, 2020 – Today the Association for Vascular Access (AVA), in close collaboration with the Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center, announced it will cancel its in-person 2020 Annual Scientific Meeting, scheduled to be held September 12-15, due to public health and safety concerns related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
AVA is instead working with scheduled speakers, exhibitors, sponsors and industry partners to deliver a completely reimagined virtual meeting and exposition, AVA at Your Fingertips, from October 27-30. The cost for an AVA member to attend AVA at Your Fingertips is $199.00. Non-members can attend for $325.00, a fee that includes a 1-year membership to AVA.
“After careful consideration and a thorough discussion of every aspect of the meeting and experience with our fantastic partners at the Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center, AVA has made the extremely difficult to decision to move its 2020 Scientific Meeting to a virtual experience,” said AVA President Lori Kaczmarek, MSN, RN, VA-BC™. “Though we were eager to put on a robust, memorable in-person Annual Meeting in Denver this September, the public health and safety of our attendees, staff, volunteers, sponsors, exhibitors and the Gaylord staff greatly outweighed any other considerations in our collective decision-making process.”
Below are other important details for AVA at Your Fingertips:
- By the end of today (June 15), the AVA Speakers Department will contact speakers with further details and next steps
- By June 30, the AVA Registration Department will notify attendees who registered for the 2020 AVA Scientific Meeting with instructions on how to apply funds to AVA at Your Fingertips, the 2021 Scientific Meeting, or obtain a full refund
- By June 30, the AVA Exhibits and Sponsorship Department will share details with exhibitors and sponsors on how funds can be applied; exhibitors and sponsors can also expect to be sent a virtual prospectus by this date
- AVA at Your Fingertips will offer 35.0 Continuing Education credits through live and recorded sessions; this breaks down to about $5 per credit for AVA members to attend at the $199.00 rate
- The AVA at Your Fingertips platform will remain active for 30 days upon the conclusion of the live event to allow attendees time to obtain all CEs
- For those attendees that have already booked a hotel room, it will automatically be canceled and refunded by the Gaylord Rockies
Other benefits of attending AVA at Your Fingertips include:
- A live, interactive 4-day experience featuring unique presentations addressing the challenges faced by today’s vascular access clinicians
- Interactive Poster Gallery: Browse the AVA Scientific Posters through an online gallery and connect live with poster authors
- Live Q&A sessions with presenters
- Live chat – including video! – available with other attendees and exhibitors
- Access to the industry exhibitors you know and love through a digital Exhibit Hall
- Ability to connect with representatives from other companies, get the latest product/service updates, watch vendor presentations and much more
AVA, the Gaylord and other event partners in Denver were in regular contact during the planning of AVA’s 34th Annual Meeting and paid close attention to the timing of federal and state of Colorado plans to ease air travel restrictions, social distancing guidelines and restrictions on large gatherings once the COVID-19 threat has abated. Considering that many of those factors are either still unknown or constantly in flux, reviewing the feedback AVA received from the more than 1,000 participants of its 2020 Scientific Meeting prospective attendee survey, and with numerous AVA Annual meeting attendees typically coming from all over the country as well as internationally, all parties involved concluded that canceling the face-to-face event was the safe, responsible and appropriate action.
“AVA and the Gaylord were eager to exceed the attendee expectation for the 2020 Scientific Meeting, and we look forward to working with our Denver partners in the future,” said AVA COO Tonya Hutchison, CAE. “As we shift gears, however, we are now fully immersed in providing the most dynamic digital meeting experience for our members and attendees possible. Attendees can anticipate the same great content we were primed to deliver in Denver, and we are anxious to structure this reimagined experience to fit a variety of schedules to further engagement and enhance their vascular access education.”
AVA and the Gaylord Rockies are holding continued discussions to return to Denver at a later date for an in-person event.
Further details about the 2020 AVA at Your Fingertips will be communicated as soon as they are finalized and updated on the meeting’s website.
The Association for Vascular Access (AVA) was founded in 1985 to promote the emerging vascular access specialty. Today, AVA stands at the forefront of protecting and saving lives via establishing best practices and promoting patient advocacy. AVA’s multidisciplinary membership advances research, provides professional and public education to shape practice and enhance patient outcomes, and partners with the device manufacturing community to bring about evidence-based innovations in vascular access. To learn more or join, visit www.joinAVAnow.com.